ALBOHISPANO

ALBOHISPANO
HIGH SCHOOL

sábado, 24 de julio de 2010

10TH HOMEWORK FOR STUDENTS WITH LOW GRADES

EDUCATIONAL ¨BILINGÜAL UNIT
“ALBOHISPANO HIGH SCHOOL”
HOMEWORK

SUBJECT: GRAMMAR
COURSE: 10th
TEACHER: MR. MARCOS DANIEL VINUEZA BOSADA.

1) Complete los boxes using with verb. Present Perfect o Simple Past.
1. Jane (stay) at home yesterday.
2. Your letter (arrive) two days ago.
3. I (live) here for ten years.
4. Last week we (go) to the cinema.
5. The game (start) . They are playing now.
2) Choose the correct option.
Did you study yesterday?
Yes, I have.
Yes, I did.
Have you ever been to London?
Yes, I was.
Yes, I have.
You have just made a cake,
haven't you?
didn't you?
What did you do last week?
I went to the cinema.
I have been to the cinema.
Did you watch TV last night?
Yes, I have.
Yes, I did.
3). Present Perfect - Statements - Exercise
1) Karen me an e-mail. (to send)

2) Dave and Pat the museum. (to visit)

3) I at the pet shop. (to be)

4) They already their rucksacks. (to pack)
5) Marcus an accident. (to have)

4) Exercise on Present Perfect Progressive
5) He (work) in this company since 1985.
6) I (wait) for you since two o'clock.
7) Mary (live) in Germany since 1992.
8) Why is he so tired? He (play) tennis for five hours.
9) How long (learn / you) English?
5). Present Perfect Simple or Continuous
1. I'm very hungry. I______________________ all day.
a)
didn't eat
b)
haven't ate
c)
haven’t eaten
d)
have been eating
________________________________________
2. Their new kitchen looks fantastic. They ________ completely ________ it.
a)
have been redecorating
b)
have redecorated
c)
already redecorated
d)
didn't redecorated
________________________________________
3. Our kitchen’s a mess. We____________________ any cleaning for weeks.
a)
didn't do
b)
haven't been doing
c)
have done
d)
haven't done
________________________________________


6) Exercise on Past Perfect Simple
1. The storm destroyed the sandcastle that we (build) .
2. He (not / be) to Cape Town before 1997.
3. When she went out to play, she (do / already) her homework.
4. My brother ate all of the cake that our mum (make) .
5. The doctor took off the plaster that he (put on) six weeks before.

7) Past Perfect : Positive and Negative. Make the positive or negative past perfect simple

1) When I arrived at the cinema, the film (start). .


2) She (live) in China before she went to Thailand. .


3) After they (eat) the shellfish, they began to feel sick. .


4) If you (listen) to me, you would have got the job. .


5) Julie didn’t arrive until after I (leave). .


6) When we (finish) dinner, we went out.


8) Put the verbs into the correct form (past perfect progressive).
1. We (sleep) for 12 hours when he woke us up.
2. They (wait) at the station for 90 minutes when the train finally arrived.
3. We (look for) her ring for two hours and then we found it in the bathroom.
4. I (not / walk) for a long time, when it suddenly began to rain.
5. How long (learn / she) English before she went to London?
9). Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous
1) Nancy Kerrigan is a professional ice skater. She ____ since she was a child.
A) has skated B) has been skating C) both tenses possible

2) Suriya Bonaly is also an Olympic ice skater. She's from France, but she ___ in Pennsylvania and Massachussetts in the United States.
A) has also lived B) has also been living C) both possible

3). Robin Cousins, a former ice skater and current commentator said this about new skater Mikkeline Kierkgaard, "She is one to watch for the future. She ___ everyone with the quality of her skating."
A) has surprised B) has been surprising C) both possible
10) Exercise on Present Perfect Progressive

Positive Sentences
Write positive sentences in present perfect progressive.
1. Albert / squash / play →
2. Hannah / the match / watch →
3. we / in the park / wait →
4. you / a song / sing →
5. I / a magazine / read →
11) Put the verbs into the correct form (present perfect progressive).
1. He (work) in this company since 1985.
2. I (wait) for you since two o'clock.
3. Mary (live) in Germany since 1992.
4. Why is he so tired? He (play) tennis for five hours.
5. How long (learn / you) English?
12) Present Perfect Simple – Present Perfect Progressive
Fill in the correct form (pronoun + verb).
Present Perfect Simple Present Perfect Progressive
I / speak


he / write


they / do


you / swim


she / live



13) When to use which tense?
1. '5 times' is a signal word for ...
2. 'for two hours' is a signal word for ...
3. 'since 9 o'clock' is a signal word for ...
Positive Sentences
14) Fill in the correct form (Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Progressive).
1. I (practise) the piano for 30 minutes.
2. Bob (run) 10 km.
3. The children (be) on holiday for six days.
4. The dog (bark) since midnight.
5. We (miss) the bus twice this week.
Negative Sentences
15) Fill in the correct form (Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Progressive).
1. You (eat / not) up yet.
2. He (speak / not) on the phone for half an hour, just a couple of minutes.
3. They (work / not) since 5 o'clock. They just started an hour ago.
4. We (know / not) them for a long time.
5. She (hang / not) up all the pictures yet.
Questions
16) Fill in the correct form (Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Progressive).
1. How long (wait / she) for us?
2. How many times (tell / I) you?
3. How often (clean / you) the windows this year?
4. How many months (take / you) piano lessons?
5. (stay / you / ever) in a castle?
Text
17) Fill in the correct form (Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Progressive).
1. Tom: Hi Ana. I (try) to ring you several times today. Where (you / be) ?
2. Ana: I (be) at home all the time. But I (clean) the house all day, so maybe I didn't hear the phone ring.
3. Tom: (you / clean) everything now?
4. Ana: No, not yet. I (tidy / not) up the kitchen yet. But why are you here?
5. Tom: Don't you remember? Jane (invited) us to her birthday party and we (buy / not) a present for her yet.
6. Ana: Oh, that's right. (you / find out / already) what she wants?
7. Tom: Well, she (learn) Spanish for a year and wants to spend her next holiday in Mexico. Maybe we could get her a guide book.
8. Ana: That's a good idea. There is a good bookshop in the big shopping centre. I (see) some nice books about Mexico there recently.
18) Past Perfect / Past Perfect Continuous
I'm sorry I left without you last night, but I told you to meet me early because the show started at 8:00. I (try) to get tickets for that play for months, and I didn't want to miss it. By the time I finally left the coffee shop where we were supposed to meet, I (have) five cups of coffee and I (wait) over an hour. I had to leave because I (arrange) to meet Kathy in front of the theater.

When I arrived at the theater, Kathy (pick, already) up the tickets and she was waiting for us near the entrance. She was really angry because she (wait) for more than half an hour. She said she (give, almost) up and (go) into the theater without us.

Kathy told me you (be) late several times in the past and that she would not make plans with you again in the future. She mentioned that she (miss) several movies because of your late arrivals. I think you owe her an apology. And in the future, I suggest you be on time!
19) Present Perfect / Past Perfect
Present Perfect Continuous / Past Perfect Continuous
1. It is already 9:30 PM and I (wait) here for over an hour. If John does not get here in the next five minutes, I am going to leave.
2. I was really angry at John yesterday. By the time he finally arrived, I (wait) for over an hour. I almost left without him.
3. Did you hear that Ben was fired last month? He (work) for that import company for more than ten years and he (work) in almost every department. Nobody knew the company like he did.
4. I (see) many pictures of the pyramids before I went to Egypt. Pictures of the monuments are very misleading. The pyramids are actually quite small.
5. Sarah (climb) the Matterhorn, (sail) around the world, and (go) on safari in Kenya. She is such an adventurous person.
6. Sarah (climb) the Matterhorn, (sail) around the world and (go) on safari in Kenya by the time she turned twenty-five. She (experience) more by that age than most people do in their entire lives.
7. When Melanie came into the office yesterday, her eyes were red and watery. I think she (cry) .
20). Present Continuous / Simple Past
Present Perfect Continuous / Past Perfect Continuous
My English is really getting better. I (try) to learn the language since 1985, but only recently have I been able to make some real progress. By the time I started high school in 1988, I (study) the language for almost three years; however, I was only able to introduce myself and utter a few memorized sentences. For a couple more years, I (struggle) through grammar and vocabulary lessons, which made absolutely no difference. Nothing worked, so I decided to study abroad.
I found an exchange program in England that sounded like the perfect answer. I (stay) with a host family for one month. It was a huge disappointment! I (sit) there the whole time staring at the host mother and father hoping that there would be some breakthrough. Nothing.
21) Fill the gaps with the verb in brackets using the past perfect continuous or the past perfect simple.

1 When the student revolution came, I _____________________________________ there for 6 months. ( work )
2 Before Jim finally decided to go to Thailand, he _____________________________________ about it for months. ( think )
3 They _____________________________________ all the chocolate cake by the time Michael got to the party. ( eat )
4 I _____________________________________ Scarlett Johansson on three previous occasions. Lucky me! ( met )
5 The forensic evidence shows that he _____________________________________ his nose just before he was murdered. ( pick )
6 When the doctor told him his liver was seriously bad, he _____________________________________ hamburgers for a month. ( eat )
7 Prior to the explosion, the fat man _____________________________________ seven large chocolate cakes. ( eat )
8 When they cancelled the flight to Alicante, the storm _____________________________________ all afternoon with no sign of abating. ( rage )
22) Fill the gaps with the verb in brackets using the past continuous or the past perfect continuous.

1 When I asked Carlos if he wanted to go out, he said he couldn't because he _____________________________________ an assignment. ( finish )
2 Scarlett came into the room panting. She _____________________________________ round the park. ( jog )
3 Scarlett wasn't in. She _____________________________________ around the park. ( jog )
4 I _____________________________________ a bath when I suddenly had a great idea. ( have )
5 He told me he _________________________ seriously _________________________ about finding another job soon. ( think )
23) Put in the verbs in brackets into the gaps. Use Present Perfect.

Example: I _____________ my father's car. (to wash)

Answer: I have washed my father's car.

1) Karen ___________ me an e-mail. (to send)
2) Dave ___________and Pat the museum. (to visit)
3) I ___________ at the pet shop. (to be)
4) They ___________ already their rucksacks. (to pack)
5) Marcus ___________ an accident. (to have)
6) We___________ the shopping for our grandmother. (to do)
7) I ___________ just my bike. (to clean)
8) Emily ___________ her room. (to paint)
9) Lisa and Colin ___________ to a concert. (to go)
10) My friends ___________ smoking. (to give up)

24)Simple Past or Present Perfect Simple

Put the verbs into the correct tense (simple past or present perfect simple).

1.Mother: I want to prepare dinner. (you / wash)_____________ the dishes yet?
2.Daughter: I (wash)_____________ the dishes yesterday, but I (have / not)_____________ the time yet to do it today.
3.Mother: (you / do / already)_____________ your homework?
4.Daughter: No, I (come / just)_____________ home from school.
5.Mother: You (come)_____________ home from school two hours ago!
6.Daughter: Well, but my friend Lucy (call)_____________ when I (arrive)_____________ and I (finish / just)_____________ the phone call.
7.Mother: (you / see / not) _____________ Lucy at school in the morning?
8.Daughter: Yes, but we (have / not) time to talk then.
25). HAVE GONE AND HAVE BEEN. Complete.

1. Bob's not here. He's ____________ to work.
2. The office is empty. Everybody has ____________ home.
3. It's good to see you again. Where have you ____________ ?
4. My brother's ____________ to America four times.
5. Sorry, you can't speak to Anna. She's ____________ to a party.
6. Mary's hair looks nice. She's just ____________ to the hairdresser's.
7. Peter's ____________to Canada and he's staying there for three weeks.
8. He is on holiday at the moment. He has _________ to Spain.
9. 'Where is Hamida?' 'She's not here.I think she has ________ to the bank'.
10. 'Hello, Nadir.Where have you _______ ?'
11. 'I have _______ to the bank'
12. 'Have you ever ________ to Mexico?'
13. My parents aren't at home this evening.They have ______ out.
14 Paris is a wonderful city. I have ________ there many times
15. Hania was here earlier but I think she has _______ now

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario