ALBOHISPANO

ALBOHISPANO
HIGH SCHOOL

jueves, 22 de abril de 2010

8TH FRIDAY APRIL 23RD,2010

SUBJECT

Guayaquil Friday April 23rd, 2010


* Pass on notebook. Study and practice.

Indefinite Articles: a and an

"A" and "an" signal that the noun modified is indefinite, referring to any member of a group. For example:

•"My daughter really wants a dog for Christmas." This refers to any dog. We don't know which dog because we haven't found the dog yet.
•"Somebody call a policeman!" This refers to any policeman. We don't need a specific policeman; we need any policeman who is available.
•"When I was at the zoo, I saw an elephant!" Here, we're talking about a single, non-specific thing, in this case an elephant. There are probably several elephants at the zoo, but there's only one we're talking about here.

Remember, using a or an depends on the sound that begins the next word. So...

•a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a boy; a car; a bike; a zoo; a dog
•an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an elephant; an egg; an apple; an idiot; an orphan
•a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound: a user (sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e. begins with a consonant 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a university; a unicycle
•In some cases where "h" is pronounced, such as "historical," use an:

An historical event is worth recording.


HOMEWORK

*Pass on notebook, then study and practice them.

a) Choose the correct form of the verb to be - am/is/are.

It --- cold today.

I --- at home now.

They --- Korean.

There --- a pen on the desk.

My name --- Nikita.

We --- from Ukraine.

That --- right.

I --- OK, thanks.

Clara and Steve --- married.

She --- an English teacher.

b) Re-write the words in the correct order to make
positive sentences with the verb to be.


1 years am twenty-five I old.

2 are from We Venezuela.

3 a is Anton and name My I'm student.

4 is This book. my

5 It's nice day today. a

6 Paul. Her name brother's is

7 is engineer. an John

8 husband's name is My Johansson.

9 in are There twelve class. my students

10 the letter. My new the is of at address top

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario